A.T. Kearney has always valued diversity and inclusion. In the words of Tom Kearney, "The true strength of this firm, as in any organization, lies in the fact that we are all different. . . . The strength inherent in this firm rests upon these collective and diverse interests. They are all we have."
Every day, we strive to add value for our clients. To do this most effectively, it is important that our people can be themselves and feel comfortable without encountering prejudice or discrimination and that they have equal opportunities to contribute, develop, and succeed irrespective of race, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. We also know that our clients derive greater benefit from teams with a wide range of experts with unique experiences, backgrounds, and skill sets.
Our commitment to diversity has long been recognized. Most recently, Diversity MBA Magazine placed us as #3 in its top 50 organizations which are “Out Front for Diversity Leadership”. This builds on a series of benchmark successes starting in July 2008 when Consulting Magazine, the primary consulting-industry publication, recognized A.T. Kearney for our commitment to diversity. We were one of five firms—and one of the only high value management consultancies—to receive the magazine’s Excellence in Diversity Achievement Award. In 2009, we made our debut on the Corporate Equality Index (CEI), which rates 590 businesses based on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender workplace policies and benefits. A.T. Kearney has scored a perfect 100 on the CEI for five successive years. The index has proven to be a significant measure of a company’s commitment to developing and supporting a diverse workforce.
We continually strive to improve our diversity and inclusion policies, structures, and support networks to ensure that we fully meet the needs of our people and our clients—and help set the standard for our industry. We actively promote a diverse and inclusive culture through a variety of channels, including our diversity networks and our equal employment opportunity policy.
Global Diversity Networks
A.T. Kearney has a number of global and local diversity networks that reach out in the following ways:
- Assist in outreach efforts to make candidates aware of the company’s policies
- Provide a support network for members
- Help members take advantage of both formal and informal mentoring opportunities
- Drive professional development opportunities
- Work with leaders and all consultants to raise awareness of diversity within A.T. Kearney
- Strengthen diversity by bringing people from more diverse backgrounds to the firm
Our networks include the following:
The Women’s Network is one of the longest standing in the firm. We are committed to recruiting, and advancing and supporting women at A.T. Kearney. Our objectives are to address the following areas:
- Improve our ability to attract and recruit top women candidates at all levels. During the recruiting process, for example, women candidates have access to junior consultants and leaders providing the best information and advice to form a solid decision.
- Enhance our ability to retain and advance top women candidates:
- Strengthening networks in the local offices and our global firm
- Supporting career development, progression, and performance success
- Providing better work-life balance for our people at different stages in their personal life and careers
- Provide forums and platforms for a broad business women’s exchange, focusing on general management topics as well as industry-specific topics
- Demonstrate A.T. Kearney’s commitment as a women-friendly place to develop a career
We emphasize networking and mentoring opportunities through formal and informal channels. Local women’s networks facilitate strong relationships and exchange of experiences. Mentoring programs also help connect colleagues with different levels of experience across the extended women’s network and help drive a culture that focuses on retention and success.
We have become particularly active in promoting International Women’s Day, held on March 8th. Many of our offices around the world hold events to mark the day featuring various speakers, with opportunities to network, celebrate, and reflect on the great diversity of the women of A.T. Kearney—and the powerful impact we have on our firm’s culture as we deliver on the needs of clients, colleagues, and families.
GALA: A.T. Kearney's Network for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Employees and Allies
GALA supports the distinctive employment needs of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender
A.T. Kearney employees. The group focuses on recruiting, developing, and retaining exceptionally talented individuals. As part of the firm’s ongoing recruiting at our schools, GALA sponsors and participates in diversity events to build relationships with LGBT students in M.B.A. and B.A. degree programs. By working with firm leaders and HR on developing policies and programs, GALA also helps create and support a work environment that allows professionals to be themselves, feel appreciated in the workplace, and develop and advance professionally. John Yoshimura, partner and chief operating officer, adds, “I strongly believe in and support the LGBT workplace equality. It is, like all of our diversity networks, an important vehicle to promote awareness and inclusion, helping to ensure that we have a strong and vibrant culture that we can all be part of—and proud of.”
GALA members include consultants at all levels, in various industry and service practices as well as management services employees; in addition to LGBT employees, it also includes allies who support the network in developing an even more diverse and inclusive workplace.
Regional Diversity Networks
African American Network — Americas
The African American Network (AAN) is recognized by our members as a valuable group of colleagues who enrich and enhance each other’s professional and personal lives through mentoring, networking, and professional development. With a solid foundation in place, our members receive the support they need to succeed throughout their career through a variety of programs, including:
- Recruiting: A.T. Kearney seeks to attract outstanding, talented candidates through our multi-faceted recruiting efforts. Our MBA Boot Camp program, for example, is a forum for recruiting candidates for full-time hire. Boot Camp is a case workshop that helps prepare students for case interviews as well as provides networking opportunities with colleagues from across the firm.
- Professional development forums: Our Professional Development Forum positions consultants for success. The curriculum for these events is designed to expose network members to the firm’s leadership and address key factors for a successful career. These flagship events serve as a way for our members to stay connected and provide professional growth opportunities.
Hispanic Network — Americas
Within A.T. Kearney and the broader community, the Hispanic Network promotes an atmosphere of diversity, inclusion, and respect. We promote A.T. Kearney’s diversity mission in support of the firm’s commitment to superior client service and business performance through the following activities:
- Recruiting: In collaboration with A.T. Kearney’s recruiting team, the Hispanic Network attracts outstanding, diverse talent through on-campus recruiting and national Hispanic conferences.
- Professional development: Training events, guest speakers, and individual mentoring provide important opportunities for the network to support its members’ professional development and ongoing success.
- Teambuilding: Social gatherings foster a spirit of camaraderie among employees whose unique backgrounds and perspectives contribute to a lively, energetic firm culture.
A.T. Kearney principal, discusses the firm's commitment to diversity and inclusion across the world and explains how the firm is celebrating Global Pride Month.